Two of the most common complaints people have about the paleo diet are that it’s difficult (in terms of cooking and prepping meals) and expensive (in terms of getting the right foods). So we wanted to create a guide to paleo meals that quick and affordable.
Despite these complaints there are a lot of easy paleo meals that you can make even after a long day at work. In fact, we think some of the best paleo meals are the ones that are simple and easy to make!
So in this short guide, you’ll find 3 recipes for quick paleo meals that are also delicious and nutritious. We’ll also give you some tips for creating healthy paleo diet meals even if you are on a budget!
Simple paleo meals don’t have to be boring. You can keep it simple by buying a few basic, staple ingredients that are affordable and mixing them up in different ways to create a variety of different meals.
Buy in season & on sale. Build your meals around seasonal ingredients (which are usually cheaper because they are in season). You can also check out what kind of discounts or special offers your local store has at the moment and then come up with a meal plan based around foods that are on sale.
Create weekly meal plans. Going to the grocery store with a plan ensures that you buy only what you are actually going to eat and exactly as much as you are going to eat. You will save a lot of money by not just randomly throwing ingredients in your cart only to find that you have no idea how to combine them into a good meal when you get home.
Go for 80%. Buying fresh, whole foods even when you’re buying in season and on sale can still be out of some people’s budget. We can definitely understand that. If you simply can’t afford to eat totally paleo meals all the time, go for 80% paleo and fill in the other 20% with cheaper non-paleo foods (still try to avoid processed junk as much as possible).
Tighten your belt elsewhere. There are lots of simple things you can do to cut costs in other areas so that you can use the saved cash for buying better food to nourish yourself. Practice simple energy efficient habits like unplugging your appliances, turning off lights when you’re not in the room or, if you’re willing, give up cable (with all the shows available online, you can still have access to great shows without paying for cable).
All of the ingredients in this dish are usually pretty affordable. And they combine to make a delicious, flavorful meal that’s also super easy to make!
Olive oil (or butter)
1 medium yellow or white onion (diced finely)
12 oz. mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
1 ½ to 2 lbs. chicken, chopped
12 oz. broccoli (steamed)
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
This is a great frittata recipe. And you can easily swap out ingredients to use your favorite veggies (or meat) or to keep it seasonal.
8 whole eggs
1 large sweet potato (peeled and sliced)
2 zucchini (sliced)
1 bell pepper (sliced)
2 Tbsps. olive oil (or butter)
2 Tbsps. fresh parsley (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
This hearty and delicious meal uses simple and affordable ingredients. It’s easy to put together and most of the work is done by the slow cooker!
2 lbs. chuck roast (trimmed and cut into thick strips). You need to buy more than 2 lbs. so that after trimming it is 2 lbs. You can save the trimmed fat to make beef stock.
2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chilie with the juice
1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
2-3 Tbsps. olive oil
1 small head cabbage
½ small head red cabbage
½ cup thinly sliced green onion
6 Tbsps. paleo mayo
4 tsp. lime juice
2 tsp. tabasco (or taste)
These recipes are just a small sample of the kinds of delicious meals you can create on the paleo diet. If you’re worried about healthy meals being bland and boring, just try out these and the countless other paleo friendly recipes that are available! Get creative and explore your options and you’ll never get bored on the paleo diet!